Date published: Friday 1st May 2020 2:46
A teammate of Valencia star Ferran Torres has urged the winger to stay on at the Mestalla despite strong interest from the likes of Liverpool this summer.
Left-back Jose Luis Gaya, who recently admitted he rejected a move to Real Madrid, said he hopes the 21-year-old turns down all advances and remains in Valencia.
This comes after clubs, including Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool, have been linked with a move for the highly-regarded attacker this summer.
The Spaniard told Movistar, as cited by the Liverpool Echo: “I lived [through speculation] and it was clear that I wanted to continue [at Valencia].
“I am not in Ferran’s head but hopefully he will continue with us.”
Speculation regarding Torres’ future was fuelled earlier this week when Valencia legend Fernando suggested the youngster would be a perfect fit for Liverpool.
He told Tribal Football: “Ferran Torres is a great player. He has emerged very young and that is proof of his maturity.
“He’s skillful, he’s great one-on-one, he’s quick and he even scores goals.
“He also plays on the inside, takes advantage of spaces and can be part of a team that plays on the counter-attack or a dominant team in terms of possession.
“He can perform well in any team and in any league. In England too, of course, at Liverpool or any other team.”
Meanwhile, Liverpool could receive a €20m bonus thanks to Barcelona clarifying the future of Philippe Coutinho, it is claimed.
The attacking midfielder left Anfield for Camp Nou in January 2018, but the move has not quite gone to plan, leading to him being loaned out to Bayern Munich this season.
Bayern will not sign him on a permanent basis this summer, meaning Barcelona face a tough decision over what to do with their €135m investment. Read more…